The month of January is all about making those resolutions that you try to stick to year in and year out. However, unlike years in the past, we hope that you actually keep your New Year's resolutions past January 31st. To help with that we have some expert advice on how to make 2016 your healthiest year yet!
- Make exercising a priority and keep moving– Think of exercising and movement as vital as you need to breath everyday to survive. Block time on your calendar and stick to it. It is an appointment with your fitness and health and you do not want to miss it.
- Plan out your nutrition. Set aside some time to think ahead about what you are going to eat. Once you have decided what you are going to eat, organize your grocery shopping accordingly, you could also do some of the prep ahead of time, this will help you to stay on track and avoid poor food choices.
- Increase your protein intake and reduce the consumption of starchy, refined carbs and grains specially on days when you have not exercised. Eat plenty of veggies and fiber and keep yourself fully hydrated, drink plenty of water. Have a balanced and healthy approach to eating, find foods that suits your taste and lifestyle.
- Fight inflammation with healthy omega fatty acids, best consumed from great natural sources like fish oils, nuts and seeds. Inflammation can cause illnesses and diseases, it can be caused by poor nutrition, stress, high level of cortisol, and hormone imbalances.
- Build a strong core, having a strong core is crucial for good posture, stability, overall strength and a healthy pain free back that will assist the rest of your training. Different plank variations are a good starting point.
- Don’t be afraid of strength-resistance training instead of traditional cardio workouts. Don’t be afraid that strength training, this will not make you bulky- that's just a myth. It is important to maintain and increase muscle mass to reduce body fat, boost your metabolism, strong bonds, combat osteoporosis, increase flexibility and stability, it will also reduce and fight anxiety and depression, just to name a few of the strength training benefits you will get from this type of training.
- Body Weight exercises are a great exercise routine, specially if you have no access to a gym, you can do them anywhere. They are a great approach to fitness that will challenge your aerobic and anaerobic energy systems, with all the benefits of resistance training.
- Train with mindfulness, when you are working out stay focus, breathing properly, visualize the muscles you are working on, your brain will help you by activating more muscle fibres thus increasing your overall result.
- Stay positive and motivated – Keep a training log of your workouts to measure progress and track results. Be competitive with yourself, set up some targets and work towards them maybe you increase the amount of push ups or squats you can do in one minute. Workout with a friend if this will push you little extra- having an accountability partner makes working out a little easier. Most importantly- Stay positive!
- Recovery, your rest it is as important as your training and nutrition, make sure you nourish your body with the right nutrients and get lots of sleep. You may take a day rest between workouts or increase the intensity after a high intensity training day. Try active recovery with gentle to help reduce soreness and speed up recovery by increasing blood flow to your muscles.
Not only should you think positively, train with mindfulness and plan head you should do all of that while looking super chic. Everyone loves the after gym trip to Juice Press in your oh-so-chic work out gear. So we pulled together our list of must-see athletic gear from our favorite brands!
Hope this helps you keep those new years resolutions!