There are many reasons to celebrate the BET awards. In addition to the amazing achievements of the actors and actresses, the awards are a way to showcase a diverse array of styles. Since the BET Awards premiered in 2001, a great number of celebrities graced the red carpet. Some looks, however, are simply unforgettable. Here are 25 unforgettable looks from the BET Awards:
1. Lil Kim 2003: Lil Kim is known for her daring style and sense of fashion. Kim, an actress, and model who is perhaps best known for her rapping career have always been a trendsetter. Kim wore a blue and green patterned swimsuit and coverup with some blue accents. Kim’s hair was a voluminous mass of curly hair extensions completing her Sea Goddess look.
2. Rihanna 2008: Rihanna was the belle of the BET Awards with a stunning, floor-length yellow dress. Rihanna’s pixie cut looked elegant against the lemon ruffles
3. Nicki Minaj 2011: Another trendsetter, Nicki Minaj is never one for a boring look. The singer did not disappoint at the 2011 BET awards when she paired a pink dress with black boots and lace stockings. The puffed-out shoulders accentuated the star’s famous, hourglass figure.
4. Beyoncé 2012: Beyoncé is known for her amazing looks both on and off the stage, but her 2012 yellow, high slit dress and belt combination is one of the most stunning looks. Not everyone can pull off an outfit like that, but Beyoncé did it flawlessly.
5. Monica 2012: The singer rocked the red carpet in a wine blazer and matching sequined pants. The star smoothed her hair up into a luxurious bun and paired the look with a wine clutch and peep toe heels.
6. Brandy Norwood 2013: Brandy made an appearance in a lacey, peach, knee-length dress complete with strappy sandals. The outfit turned heads for its classic look, fresh color and, well, all the lace!
7. Eve 2013: Eve dominated the red carpet with an orange leather dress, turquoise jewelry, and metallic blue heels. It takes a certain “jenesaisquoi” to pull off that outfit and Eve wore this look perfectly.
8. Gabrielle Union 2014: The actress wowed in a flowing white Maria Luchia Hohan dress and thigh-high boots. The outfit’s relaxed but sexy vibe turned heads at the 2014 BET Awards.
9. Kenya Moore 2014: Former Miss America, Kenya Moore looked timeless in a sensual dress by Victoria Beckham. The outfit highlighted Moore’s curves without being uncouth. Moore’s gold bracelets and soft tresses completed the look.
10. Mariah Carey 2013: The singer and actress stepped out in a white sequined dress. While the dress itself was only about knee length, the sequined mesh swept around the star in an array of glitter.
11. Zendaya Coleman 2014: Zendaya’s look was the perfect combination of sporty, sensual and elegant. The actress stepped out in a matching baby blue bomber jacket and maxi skirt – featuring a slit that accentuated her legs- and a bralette underneath. A baseball cap and braids completed the look.
12. Janelle Monae 2015: The singer, songwriter, and actress Janelle Monae stepped out in a sleek black dress complete with a long black cape. The star’s intriguing up-do completed the look and proved that Dracula is not the only one who looks stunning in a cape.
13. Nicki Minaj 2015: This time, the singer stunned onlookers with a floor-length black gown, complete with a sizable zipper.
14. Keyshia Cole 2015: Cole took blue to a whole new level by matching her heels, pants and crop top to the tips of her hair. Cole could have spent hours at the salon to achieve the look, or she could have been using dyed virgin hair extensions.
15. Andra Day 2015: Day performed in a vintage-looking yellow and gray polka dot dress - with pinned-up hair to complete the look.
16. Laverne Cox 2015: Cox was all smiles and confident in her, navy blue Dmitry Sholokhov suit. The star accessorized with a slim, black and gold belt and black stilettos. Laverne's long flowing hair definitely added to the outfit.
17. Blac Chyna and Amber Rose 2015: The duo showed up in matching white pantsuits and varying styles of bustier to celebrate marriage equality- and shatter some stereotypes. The two were definitely one of the best-dressed couples of all time!
18. Kerry Washington, 2014: Washington’s famous Scandal character, Olivia Pope may be all business, but the actress showed a softer side with a simple, but colorful floral dress. Washington accessorized with a green clutch and white heels.
19. Rihanna 2015: The singer wore a gold blazer and gold shorts as she stepped onto the stage. Rihanna paired this look with a super long and sleek ombre'd ponytail.
20. Janelle Monae 2016: The star was all stripes complemented by gold jewelry and a black hat.
21. Nandi Mngoma 2016: Mngoma definitely looked like a queen in a stunning black and white cutout, complete with a train and gold necklace.
22. Maya 2016: Sunshine yellow pants and a flowing top with extra length in the back made this outfit an eye catcher.
23. Eva Marcille 2016: The actress showed off her legs in a short, rose print, long sleeved dress and heels.
24. Beyoncé 2007: Beyoncé has always been glamorous. At the 2007 awards, the singer wowed in a figure hugging, floor length silver dress by Dolce & Gabbana.
25. Dancers from Beyoncé’s “Formation” 2016: Each dancer expressed a unique style. Some wore dresses, while others wore pants. The group looked colorful and fierce- which should have given onlookers a heads up about their upcoming, impressive, performance.
What were your favorite BET styles? Which ones do you want to emulate? If you have a style that you admire, you can find hair extensions at Indique Hair to help you achieve the look.