Your New Favorite Chili (And its vegan)
If you got off track for your summer body here is a dish that will get things back on track. It seems as if the vegan lifestyle is the new trend. Vegans sustain from eating any meat or dairy and instead choose to eat plant based items . So cozy up this Spring (yes, it's still cold!) with tasty black-bean sweet potato chili.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of antioxidants . They also are good for weight loss and eye health. So continue the new year off right with this delicious recipe.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Note)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.